What a crazy year 2020 was. The world was flipped upside down, our daily lives changed dramatically, and we had to establish new routines. It is hard to believe that our world was drastically different a short time ago. As we enter 2021, let’s think about the ways we can have a positive impact on our company culture.
What effects do harmony, impact and acknowledgment have on your company?
The answer is JOY! Yes… I said it …. JOY!
Harmony, impact and acknowledgment are things that connect people together. By connecting people together, they are bringing them JOY!
In the midst of the COVID Pandemic, bringing people joy can go a long way!
What exactly is JOY?
Joy is the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires. Joy is a delight. Joy is a state of happiness or felicity: bliss.
How does it all tie together?
A team that works together in harmony is successful, whether they succeed or fail because they are working together, they each know their role, and this feels great.
A team that harmoniously works together has a huge impact on the company, resulting in joy.
Harmony and impact lead to acknowledgment. ‘Acknowledging each player’s contributions and cheering for each other powers the entire joy-success-joy cycle’ (Liu, 2019).
How can you add JOY to your workforce? (this is taken from a Harvard Business Review Article)
- Set the agenda.
- Make the experience of joy an explicit corporate purpose.
- Strengthen your inclusion agenda to incorporate meaningful efforts toward ensuring all employees feel heard, recognized, and acknowledged. Fund mental health benefits for all employees.
- Set the stage.
- Staff your new digital/culture programs with true cross-unit, cross-silo teams, where joint teamwork delivers maximum impact, shared success, and fun.
- Set the tone.
- Encourage and celebrate individual and corporate social impact efforts.
- Authentically express more of the joy you personally experience in your role.
- Joy begets joy. Emphasize the need to joyfully “dial up” the culture with a sustained emphasis on diversity, inclusion, apprenticeship, and personal day-to-day leadership.
Joy can pack as much practical punch as technology if we allow it to. Both are required to maintain the cohesion that helps large organizations nimbly communicate and adapt to unprecedented challenges. Technology provides the infrastructure for connectivity, but the foundation must be a culture dedicated to the human experience of harmony, impact, and acknowledgment. In sum, joy.
References Liu, A. 2019. Making Joy a Priority at Work. Harvard Business Review. https://hbr.org/2019/07/making-joy-a-priority-at-work?utm_source=linkedin&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=hbr